THE FOOLISH BARBER (English Story)

THE FOOLISH BARBER

This story is about a city called Patliputr, MK Trendin
This story is about a city called Patliputra. There once lived a merchant named Manibhadra along with his wife, Gayatri. They were very rich. They had a lot of lands and they lived in a mansion! Manibhadra was a kind man. He never felt proud of his wealth. He had worked very hard in his life. His wife Gayatri was a wise lady herself. She never let anybody leave her house empty-handed. Manibhadra and Gayatri were very famous in their town. On every occasion, they invited people in their house and treated them with respect and kindness. There always was a visitor at their mansion. The couple was very good hosts. They offered their guests expensive gifts and different types of food. 

Manibahdra and Gayatri


Manibahdra:
See, Gayatri. We have so many well-wishers. We will never go hungry or homeless as long as these nice people are with us! They will never leave us alone.

Gayatri:
Oh, dear! You are too innocent! You'll give away all these gifts with no expectations in return. But these people come here only because we treat them well. None of them will stand for us if we are in trouble. 

Manibahdra:
Nonsense doesn’t think like that! They are our people. 

Gayatri:
I know you will not listen to me. And I hope that never comes a time that proves you wrong. 

Manibahdra spend in all money on all bussniesmenBut Gayatri's fear would soon be true. The future had something else in hold for the merchant couple. One summer, Manibhadra learned that his cargo ships were lost at sea. He had lost all his cargo. They searched and searched for the ship but it was of no use. Manibhadra now had to pay lots of money to his customers! He tried asking for his friends for help but everybody made some excuse and sent him away. 

Gayatri:
What happened, dear? Did you find anyone to help us out? 

Manibahdra:
No. Everybody seems to be in trouble of their own. They cannot help me now. 

Gayatri knew that his friends were only making excuses but she also knew that her husband would not believe it. She fell silent... 

The merchant then had to sell all his land to cover his losses. But he still fell in short of money he then sold his mansions. That did the trick. Manibhadra had paid off all his debts but he was a poor man now. He lived in a small house and worked on somebody else's land to earn money. Gayatri too took a job as a schoolteacher to help from the house.

Manibahdra and gayatri wok in village as laborThey both had to work very hard. But even after facing so many problems, ManiBhadra and Gayatri were still kind and respectful towards others. They earned enough so that they could feed at least one guest per day. They had no expensive gifts or different types of food to offer. But they had their hospitality and their warm talks. Time passed, but no visitors came. People who money Bhadra thought to be friends now looked at him and rocked ahead without a smile! Manibhadra was depressed. 

Manibahdra:
You're right, Gayatri. These are not our friends! They only came to us to enjoy the expensive gifts and our hospitality. If only I have listened to you. I am sorry, Gayatri. I have nothing left. I can't give you a good life anymore. 

Gayatri:
Don't say that, dear. I am happy to be with you. Just because others don't support us in bad times that does not mean we must change who we are. You are a man of principles. Your honesty will someday be rewarded. 

But Manibhadra was too upset to believe Gayatri. 

Manibahdra:
She is only saying this because she loves me. I have been foolish all my life! My foolishness will never be rewarded. I have nothing to provide for my family anymore. How will I face myself? It's my entire fault. Isn't it better to die than to live with this guilt forever? 

Blaming himself, the merchant fell asleep... 

I am a Monk.Monk:
Mani. Wake up, Mani! 

Manibahdra:
Huh, what is happening? Who are you?

Monk:
I am a Monk. I have come here to help you. You must not lose heart in the face of problems! You must face them. 



Manibahdra:
I am a foolish person. I can't face what I have done. 

Monk:
You are not foolish. Foolish is he who acts without understanding the whole truth. What happened with you was an unfortunate incident. And I am here to help you out. 

Manibahdra:
What? How will you help me? And why would you? 

Monk:
Your wife is right. It's because of your honesty and years of hard work that I have appeared. This is a reward! Now listen to me. Tomorrow, I will knock at your door in this same body. Touch the back of my head with a stick. I will then turn into a big pot of gold. All your fortune will soon return. Remember, don't hit any other Monk or you will be punished!

Manibahdra:
Oh! What a strange dream! I must have fallen asleep thinking about money. 

When the merchant walked out of his door, he saw some other monk passing by his house. 

Manibahdra:
Could this be...? Oh no! 
The monk had said that he will appear in the same body! Dream or not, I must not hit a knee without thinking! 

As ManiBhadra sat on his couch, he heard someone knocking at his door.

Manibahdra:
Oh! Who is it? Is it the Monk? 

Manibhadra sat down to get his hair cut there was another knock at the door. Barber:
No, No, Saheb. It’s me. The barber you had asked me to come. 

Manibahdra:
Oh, Yes! Of course. Come on in. 

As Manibhadra sat down to get his hair cut there was another knock at the door. 

Gayatri:
Dear, there is a monk at the door. What should I give him? 

Manibahdra:
A Monk! Go, quickly get me a stick! 

Gayatri:
A stick? 

Oh! What is this? So much gold!!!

Manibahdra:
I don't have time to explain. Quickly, get it! 



Without letting the barber finish his haircut, Manibadra ran to the Monk with a stick. The monk had already entered the house. He then touched the stick on the back of his head. And suddenly... 

Gayatri:
Oh! What is this? So much gold!!! 

Manibahdra:
Yes! We are not poor anymore! 

Oh! So business how the merchants got rich? This is not difficult at all!
So happy with the merchant he completely forgot about the barber he was doing the house watching the whole thing. 

Barber:
Oh! So business how the merchants got rich? This is not difficult at all! 

The next day, the barber made a plan. He went to the place where monks stayed and invited them home. The monks were hesitant but they took pity on the barber he begged them to come. The Monks followed the barber to his house. As soon as the monks entered the house, the fathers lock the doors behind them and started to hit them with a stick! 

Monks:
Oh! No! What are you doing? Oh! Help us! This is a crazy man! Run! He will kill us! 

Barber:
Hahahahaha.

One monk somehow got away and asked the people to help the other Monks. Everybody broke the door to the barber’s house and save the Monks. The barber was scared. People were angry as they learned what the barber had done. They ran behind him to hit him. The barber was thrown out of the town never to be seen again. Manibhadra and Gayatri had watched everything. 


Manibahdra:
The Monk was right. The foolish barber only knew that I touched a Monk with a stick and he then turned into gold! But he didn't know about my dream. He acted without thinking and was punished for hitting the wrong Monks!



LESSON:
Foolish is he who acts without understanding the whole truth. 


Keep commenting if you enjoyed...


Comments

Post a Comment